Bring the Party to the Pool – Zumba Party That Is
Have you wanted to be involved in the Zumba® Fitness-Party, but felt hesitant because of limitations or concerns you had about the activity-level required? Wouldn’t it be nice if you could participate in this fun, exuberant, national fitness trend without those concerns? Fortunately for you and hundreds of thousands of others with similar concerns, Zumba has developed a program just for you. Known as the Zumba “pool party,” Aqua Zumba® is just as exciting, fun, and invigorating as any traditional Zumba routine.
Since Zumba was first discovered in the mid-1990’s by Alberto “Beto” Perez, the company has developed program routines for varying fitness levels, experience, and age. Aqua Zumba® is one of these programs. It retains the basic fundamentals that have made Zumba so popular while creating a safer, less body-straining environment from which to participate.
By merging the party-like atmosphere created from using Latin dance music and moves with traditional aqua fitness programs, participants are known to shout, laugh, hoot and holler at one another, while at the same time getting an exceptional cardio-conditioning, body-toning workout.
Know the Benefits
If you think Aqua Zumba® is easy, think again. It gives new meaning to the idea of an invigorating workout; and it has advantages over workouts on the hard floor of the gym, club, or home. To follow are some differences and advantages:
- It is great for those who are shy or timid about participating in traditional routines. Many are fearful of “looking funny” or being embarrassed if they make a mistake. With this program; however, water surrounds the body, generally up to the chest, to disguise such missteps so no one notices
- It helps build cardiovascular endurance and body-toning with low to no impact on the joints and muscles.
- Since water has 12 times the resistance of air, participants can adjust their level of exertion by altering the size and/or speed of their movements to fit their specific fitness level.
- Participants of aqua exercise have the advantage of being able to stay cool throughout the workout despite the intensity of the workout. Water whisks away heat from your body faster than air allowing you to stay cool.
- Because your body is buoyant in water, it is an ideal place for people to exercise who are overweight, have joint problems, or injuries requiring certain types of rehabilitation.
- It is ideal for women who are pregnant and still want to participate in an exercise program to stay in shape. High impact programs are not recommended, so the low impact nature of aqua routines is perfect. Research has shown that woman who regularly participated in a safe exercise program during pregnancy, reported less physical discomfort, improved mobility, and an enhanced body image.
- Those who suffer from poor balance or coordination will find the supportive environment of the water helpful during the workout.
As with most all good things, the more popular something becomes the more copy cats there are. To get the most out of Aqua Zumba®, particularly if you are paying for the classes, make sure instructors are properly trained and certified. Zumba® LLC requires every instructor of any of its programs to be trained and licensed.
Anyone interested in becoming an instructor must first attend a Zumba Instructor Training course, and then keep their license current through a variety of training courses offered by the Zumba academy. In addition, instructors are required to be a member of the Zumba Instructor Network (ZIN), and are strongly encouraged to obtain certification from the Aquatic Exercise Association (AEA).
To get the maximum benefit from this exciting program, make sure your instructor is properly trained in the art of integrating the Zumba philosophy into traditional aqua fitness workouts.